top of page

Healthcare services in New Zealand

If you need medical help, and it is not an emergency, the first point of contact is a GP - general practitioner. GPs in New Zealand work in groups called a practice, operating out of a Medical Centre.

A GP is a fully trained medical doctor who can advise you and refer you for further tests or specialist treatment if needed.

If you need medication, you get that from a pharmacy, sometimes known as a chemist. Pharmacies can sell you certain drugs like every day painkillers, but for more powerful medicine you need to go to a GP first for a prescription.

For emergency medical help, visit the local hospital's emergency department. They will assess and treat patients who have serious injuries or illnesses.


Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.


Medical and Travel Insurance

International students (including group students) must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand. Your consultant can help you organise your insurance cover so that you should be protected in case of illness or accident from the day you leave your country and for the duration of your stay in New Zealand.

bottom of page